Duke Energy Ohio
Job Title: Controls Engineer II – Gas Engineering
Job Number: 118959
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posting End Date: January 13, 2014
Description: Depending upon the desired qualifications of the successful candidate, the hiring manager may elect to fill this position at a higher level within the job hierarchy.
(Senior Engineer-4 to 9 years of experience and a state registration as a Professional Engineer)
The Controls Engineer is responsible for the design and support of:
- Gas Supervisory Control Automated Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Natural gas station controls, measurement systems, odorization, communications and RTU programs.
- Propane-air peak shaving plants
With some supervision, provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems in area of expertise. Contributes to team decision-making in the accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities; deals with changing priorities and differing situations and makes decisions that may affect the work of the team. Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to well-defined problems and analysis of moderate scope and complexity. Conducts engineering and related studies; projects and assignments are clearly defined with focus on development but must be able to complete routine engineering projects with minimal oversight; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with minimum impact on existing systems. Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures; demonstrates proficiency in technical competencies and has ability to interpret technical information and instructions. Develops a positive working relationship to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files. Supports the company’s goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
- Graduation from a four-year accredited college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited program. A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering will be considered in lieu of the B. S. engineering degree.
- The basic understanding of engineering theories and principals.
- An understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Received a passing grade on the Engineering Fundamentals Exam.
- Understand basic principles of project management and control.
- Experience in the utility industry.
- Basic understanding of remote control of flow and pressure.
- Basic knowledge of Supervisory Control Automated Data Acquisition (SCADA) design.
- Basic knowledge in electrical and pneumatic gas measurement instrumentation.
- Experience with SQL database queries and programming.
- Familiarity with Control theory, PID loops; Open and closed loops; Cascade loops.
- Knowledge of PLC IEC 1131 programming standards.
- The ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
Candidates must apply on line by January 13, 2014 at:
www.duke-energy.com/careers (search job number 118959)