Source: Ohio Gas Company
The company was first chartered as the Ohio Gas Light and Coke Company in 1914 for the purpose of delivering manufactured gas to several communities in Fulton, Henry and Williams Counties.
The natural gas was produced through a process of burning coal with coke as a bi-product which was sold to steel mills.
The coal gas had a BTU value of 400 to 500 per cubic foot.
In the late 1930’s, natural gas was first transported to Northwest Ohio from the gas fields of Texas and Oklahoma. At this time, natural gas became available at 1,000 BTU per cubic foot and coal gas was phased out.
Ownership changed in 1945 and the company became “Ohio Gas Company” and post war growth took hold.
Today, Ohio Gas Company serves nearly 50,000 customers in six counties of Northwest Ohio and employs 80 people. Ohio Gas Company’s Eastern and Western Districts provides 24 hour emergency service.
Ohio Gas Company is proud of its heritage and wishes to thank their loyal employees and customers.