CLEVELAND, Sept. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Dominion Energy Ohio reminds customers that an annual inspection of their furnace and other natural gas appliances by a qualified, reputable contractor, can help ensure their home is safe, comfortable and energy efficient all year long. The company is also offering discounted home energy assessments for $25 through its Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program, which includes installation of a no-cost carbon monoxide detector or a programmable thermostat with every home energy assessment.
Besides helping customers receive maximum value for their energy dollars, an annual appliance inspection may prevent any potential carbon monoxide problems. Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors provide a second line of defense, but they should not be used as a substitute for an annual furnace inspection. Combined with an annual inspection, CO detectors, placed in each bedroom, can offer additional peace of mind.
While checking a furnace, the contractor should make a visual inspection of all vents, heat exchangers and motors. Dominion Energy Ohio notes that a thorough inspection should include:
- Lubricating the blower bearings and blower motor as recommended by the manufacturer;
- Visually inspecting all vents, the heat exchanger and filters;
- Checking the pilot light if the furnace has one;
- Cleaning and checking the flame sensor on higher-efficiency furnaces with electronic ignition;
- Cleaning the main burners, clearing the furnace area of any dust or combustible materials and cleaning dust from the blower compartment;
- Testing the thermostat to ensure the heating system works as it should;
- Checking the safety components on the heating equipment, such as limit controls and pilot safety and pressure switches;
- Checking the venting system to ensure it is clean and open. Any fuel-burning appliance, including natural gas, that does not burn correctly, can create harmful levels of carbon monoxide (CO). The CO can collect in a home if a fuel-burning appliance is not working or venting properly.
Save Energy and Money with Discounted Home Energy Assessments
In addition, the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program can help customers save energy and money. The program includes a home energy assessment to help diagnose high utility usage and other home comfort issues, and then provides rebates of up to $1,250 for completion of recommended energy-efficiency improvements. Dominion Energy Ohio customers may call 1-877-287-3416 to schedule an assessment or visit deohpwes.com for program details and eligibility information.
The program is open to all eligible Dominion Energy Ohio residential customers, who use natural gas for their primary heat source, and who have an active account in an individually metered, single-family, or multi-family dwelling with no more than 4 individually metered units.
The assessment is the first step in the program. An energy auditor visits customers’ homes to help pinpoint energy losses through diagnostic testing and a professional evaluation. Following the energy assessment, customers receive a customized energy report with the results, plus recommendations and rebates available through the program.
Recommended improvements typically include air sealing and insulation, HVAC equipment upgrades, window and door replacements, plus much more. These improvements can help customers decrease utility bills, while increasing home comfort, safety, durability and resale value. Residential customers also may receive such products as a carbon monoxide detector, or programmable thermostat, high-efficiency showerheads and water-saving faucet aerators at no cost (a $100 value).
About Dominion Energy
Dominion Energy (NYSE: D) is one of the nation’s largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 25,700 megawatts of generation, 15,000 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline, and 6,600 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion Energy operates one of the nation’s largest natural gas storage systems with 1 trillion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves more than 6 million utility and retail energy customers. For more information about Dominion Energy, visit the company’s website at www.DominionEnergy.com.
SOURCE Dominion Energy Ohio